“Communal sigh” We are all pretty negative about the loadshedding … but get prepping and turn those powerless hours into a fun (and fabulous) break for the whole family!
1. The SA Loadshed App (free) will alert you the moment load shedding starts. It tells you what phase of load shedding is occurring so you can check the timetables and get ready!
2. Fab up your candles with this lovely bronze candle holder (R129.99)
3. Add a torch key ring (R90) to your backdoor key so you can quickly have a light when caught unawares.
4. Create a romantic mood with this paper lantern with LED light (R39.99)
5. Horrible cell reception? And off course no wifi? Have a landline telephone close by that you can plug in to make emergency calls.
6. Small yard? No braai? The bucket braai (R243.82) is easy to carry and to clean and perfect to make a braaibroodjie or boerie when the power is out.
7. Brass LED lantern (R110)
8. Turn your garden into a magical wonderland with this solar garden path light (R150)
9. This emergency light (R123.05) has a red flashing light function and magnetic base in case you need to draw attention.
10. Glam up your dinner table with some gold candles(R109)
11. Homework emergency? No excuses with this LED desk lamp (R44.99)
12. Now we’re cooking with gas! (R198)
13. Running low on battery power? Have your cellphone charged and ready with this Powerstick powerbank (R245)
14. Let Amy Poehler entertain you. Her book Yes Please is funny and endearing. (R387)
15. Kill some times with a good ol’ card game (R22.99)
KIDS WILL LOVE IT!
1. If your kids are a bit older and not in bed by seven, why not keep them active with this awesome Glow in the Dark Table tennis set! (R150)
2. A book with a night light? So cool! Chuggintons Koko on Call (R80)
3. Radioactive green putty! (R143) Charge with sunlight for fantastic brightness!
4. Fun AND educational. Build a solar system that glows! (R119.90)
5. A flashlight with a glow function (R32.99)– so much fun!
6. Little Tikes Glow and Speak Animal Flashlight (R94) makes animal sounds! This will keep them entertained for hours!
7. Now your teens can charge their phones while the power is off with this solar charge kit (R569.95)
8. Light the fire and spend a fun evening playing 30 Seconds (R199) with your kids!
9. Studying or lots of homework – no problem!With a rechargeable LED light (R265) and FM radio with aerial, they can tune in while they work.
10. Bouncy ball fun! And they flash! (R22.99)
11. For homework, reading or drawing. LED Solar Study light (R149.95)
12. Listen to some tunes on this super cute vintage red portable transistor clock radio (R600) with day, date, alarm, time and temperature in C/F display
13. Giimmo magic lights are a range of adorable night light creatures, each with their own unique character and a glowing rainbow heart (R319) Fully rechargeable!